In 1885, J. C. Adams took what was left of the Fredonia Watch Company based in Fredonia, New York and created a new company by the name Peoria Watch Company. The new company and its factory were located in Peoria, Illinois and was built in 1886.
The pocket watches produced by the company were relatively uniform and were quick train with an 18-size full plate. While it was open, the company manufactured approximately 47,000 pocket watches. J. C Adams saw the profitability of selling to railroads and so he focused his sales in that direction.
Adams was successfully able to advertise and the Peoria Watch Company received many large orders from railroads. Unfortunately the company was not prepared to fill such high production needs and was forced to shut down in 1889 when they were unable to fulfill the orders.