In October of 1883, founders established the New Haven Watch Company in New Haven, Connecticut. A year later, the company set up their factory in a building they leased in the area.
In the first two years of business, the company produced roughly 1,000 pocket watch movements, but were unable to make any sales. In an attempt to produce more business, the company was moved to a newly built factory after they purchased 3 acres of land in Trenton, New Jersey. After the move, the company was renamed the Trenton Watch Company.
With the new name and territory, the company attempted a new production method, this time producing their own cases so they were able to offer a completed timepiece to the public. The company typically manufactured 200 pocket watches daily. R.H. Ingersoll and Brothers purchased the company in 1908.