The Lancaster Pennsylvania Watch Company was started in the summer of 1877. The company bought the assets of the Adams and Perry Watch Company. The first superintendent of the pocket watch making company was Mr. Todd.
Todd and C.S. Mosely are responsible for the design of a stem wind ¾ plate that had not been seen yet in the older watch models created by other companies. Within a year of taking over the Adams and Perry company, The Lancaster Pennsylvania Company was able to resume business and return to pocket watch production. Later that year, the company reorganized and took the name Lancaster, Pennsylvania Watch Company, Ltd.
Due to a low production rate of only 150 movements in their first year, the company rapidly fell into financial troubles. The Lancaster Watch Company was formed and this company leased the factory from its predecessor. Though the Lancaster Watch Company had completed 1250 movements in their first year, they later fell into trouble when they were only able to complete 50-75 of 8-size ladies watches.
The two companies merged in an attempt to be successful together but did not even last a year before having to close again. This cycle continued until the year of 1886 when the Keystone Standard Watch Company purchased the factory and all of its assets.
Images provided by: oldwatch.com